Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Dutch Oven Cleaning the Easy Way

It is that time of year again- summer -which of course includes swimming, hiking and CAMPING! For our family camping includes traditional Dutch oven cooking. Delicious BBQ chicken, roasted potatoes and of course peach cobbler (we can't forget the dessert!)

As I was getting all the camping gear out in preparation for our upcoming trip I was absolutely horrified with the condition of my dutch ovens. RUST and lots of it. I couldn't believe it, I thought I had cleaned out the ovens and seasoned them last year before we put them away- apparently not. They looked horrible and smelled like rancid oil.

Oh the rust! The inside, the outside, everywhere, all the nooks and crannies rust, rust, rust. My husband was going to kill me! I debated whether or not I had enough time to run out and buy new ones and season them before he got home- oh and I would have to find the exact same kind. I knew I would never make it.

So when I went online to find out how to correct my mistake (it is an easy mistake to make you know) the only suggestions I found were to get some steel wool and scrub or use lye-based rust remover chemicals. Scrubbing with steel wool didn't exactly appeal to me, and neither did tasting nasty chemicals.

I really wanted to protect my family from ingesting rust as a seasoning and I knew chemical flavored peach cobbler was not going to go over well with my kids. So I thought why not use my Sargent Steam- it works on everything else. I grabbed my steamer, attached the nozzle to the end, put a 2" stiff brush on and covered it with a scrub bud. I have never seen rust disappear so quickly or easily!

The whole cleaning process only took me about 20 minutes with very little effort. That also included getting all of the charcoal and carbon film off the bottom that would normally blacken the rest of my camping gear. I had enough time to re-season the ovens and my husband was none the wiser. In fact, he even complimented me on what a great job I had done putting them away last year (ha ha ha)

And the best part was how good everything tasted-no rancid seasoning or rust flavoring. Honestly this process was as easy as it was amazing. I can add this success to the long list of things only my Sargent can handle and why I rely on it for EVERYTHING!



Autor: Heather Page

If you would like more information on how steam can help you clean your dutch oven check out our website at Sargent Steam. http://www.sargentsteam.com or visit our blog at http://www.therealdirtonclean.com.

Sargent Steam has been in business and been steam cleaning experts since 1993. We are the go to gals of the industry when it comes to cleaning and cleaning with steam. Let us help you with your cleaning challenges.


Added: December 2, 2009
Source: http://ezinearticles.com/

0 Comments: