Saturday, June 6, 2009

Carpet Cleaning - How Can You Possibly Keep it Clean?

The best thing you can do for the life and looks of your carpet is to keep it from getting dirty and worn in the first place. Now although, it's virtually impossible to prevent it from getting dirty altogether, there are things you can do to extend how quickly it gets dirty and needs a deep cleaning and even replacement.

Probably the number one thing that can be done to help keep your carpet from getting dirty and worn out is to have your family to remove their shoes at the door after they have been outside. A mat at the door is great for visitors that you don't want to ask to remove their shoes. Even though people's shoes may not be caked in mud, there are particles on the bottom of everyone's shoes that can attribute to stains and discoloration and also to causing your carpet to get worn out. Wiping shoes on mats and removing shoes altogether at the door can extend the life and look of your carpet for many years.

When I first got my new carpet, the first thing that I did was stop eating outside of the kitchen. Spills happen, even for adults. And it's almost impossible to eat without dropping crumbs. And usually crumbs can be oily and little fingers usually are oily and get wiped on your furniture and even on your carpet if someone is sitting on the floor. Crumbs that get dropped on the floor, then, will get stepped on and ground into the carpet. And as you know, oily spots are very hard to get out of carpet and upholstery. And a plus side for this rule, it can help eliminate a lot of "habit" and "boredom" eating which can lead to obesity.

When I went to pick out my carpet, I finally decided on berber. As nice looking as it was, it did have some down sides. My biggest pet peeve with this type of carpet was that when it did get a spill or stain and I cleaned it, the stain ended up being darker and larger than it started out as. So, after a little trial and error. I found the solution to the problem. When I get a stain, I usually use a generous amount of Dawn dishwashing liquid on a very damp rag. I scrub the spot very well and then wipe up the excess soap suds with a dry towel to where the spot is just damp. I, then, take a bath towel, fold it over a couple of times, making sure to completely cover any damp part of what I just cleaned. I place something heavy over the entire damp spot. (I use the weights that go with my son's weight bench. That works perfect) I leave it there 12- 16 hours and then I flip the towel over and place the weights back on it. After about 12 more hours, I check to see if the carpet is completely dry. If it's not, I place a new dry towel over it again and repeat the process. You see, at my house, dust will settle over the damp carpet which makes the spot darker and larger. By placing a towel over it, you are not only absorbing the wetness but also keeping dust from landing on it. I have had no trouble getting rid of spots since I figured out that little trick. Try it, it works wonders.



Autor: Kimberly A Gibbons

Kim is a housewife who is continually looking for ways to clean and organize her home in the most time efficient manner possible. Visit her website to find many of the carpet cleaning tips that she implements to clean her carpet and prevent it from getting dirty and worn so quickly. To check out her website, click here.


Added: June 6, 2009
Source: http://ezinearticles.com/

0 Comments: